Wednesday, June 25, 2008

BBQ Pulled Pork - 7 hours of my life



I started the long trip to pulled pork sandwiches today with a craving that I hoped would be satisfied by 7 pm. The methods I researched gave me from 5-7 hours of bbq time. So by my math, 2 pm + 5 hours = 7 pm. Unfortunately, the optimist in my was off be a couple of hours.

The Rub

1 Tbsp kosher salt
1 Tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp Paprika
1 tsp chili powder

The Meat

1 Boneless pork shoulder

The Sauce

Your favourite bbq sauce. I used one that I had picked up at the Ottawa Ribfest.

The Method

Take your rub and do what it's called. Rub it all over your meat and cram it in the holes as much as possible (keep it clean). Set up your charcoal grill for indirect low heat grilling and have some soaked wood chips on hand (I used hickory). Place a drip pan under your grill where there are no coals, put the grill back on and place the shoulder fat-side up over the drip pan.




Cover the bbq, and monitor the temperature. Keep it between 250 and 300. I had it much lower than 250 for most of the cooking time, so it has taken a bit longer than my planned 5 hour smoking/grilling time. The end result should be a nice, juicy, slightly carmelized piece of meat that measures between 175 F and 190 F. I cheated and pulled it out at 160 F. We were hungry and it has to rest now for 1/2 hour covered before the pulling of the pork.

1 comments:

richgold

Have you tried doing this in a slow cooker? We did and it worked out pretty good (I didn't care for the bbq sauce we used). Bet part was that it was ready when we came home. I just had to toast the buns and do up some cole slaw.

Foodeeze   © 2008. Template Recipes by Emporium Digital

TOP